Date built: 1937
Developer: Wexford Science + Technology, LLC
Completion date: December 2011
Total project cost: $103 million
Historic tax credits: $20.6 million, Federal; $24.2 million, NC State Mill*
Other funding sources: Federal New Market Tax Credits
This rehabilitation was the first phase of a larger project that has converted the historic R.J. Reynolds tobacco factory complex into a state-of-the-art medical research and biotech park in the heart downtown as conceived by Wake Forest Innovation Quarter (formerly Piedmont Triad Research Park).The rehabilitation of the former R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Factory No. 91 produced 242,000 square feet of laboratory, meeting, office, and retail space, including a business accelerator.
In 1937, with a new German architectural building technique becoming increasingly popular, the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company commissioned the Libby-Owens Glass Company to supply 50,000 glass bricks for the construction of Building 91. The 93,125-square-foot building became known as “91 Turkish” because until as late as 1956 the building was used to warehouse Turkish tobacco, one of the key ingredients used in the making of the company’s popular Camel cigarettes.